Saturday, June 4, 2011

Intrigued by Steiner...

It was just over 1 year ago that I started to read about the work of Rudolf Steiner. Although my step daughter had been going to a Steiner kindergarten for some time, it wasnt really until I was pregnant that my interest really grew. I remember the girls coming to stay and I spent the morning preparing a small nature table for them....

Our very first winter nature table


It all started with one gorgeous doll..... made by the girls mum. 
I was struck by the simple beauty of the doll - particularly the minimal facial features and yet the doll seemed so much more alive than any plastic "baby alive" could ever be. 


I began googling 'waldorf dolls' wanting to learn how to make them. 
I bought my first pattern from Sarah's dolls.
My little one was only about 4 months old, 
so I rarely had a spare minute and yet was desperately wanting a few moments to myself. 
So some evenings I would sneak off into the study to sew...
watching the instructional dvd and then doing as 'Sarah' said. 

And so Molly was born......(3 months later!)




The simplicity of steiner/ waldorf dolls allows a child to express their deepest feelings and help them process the many images and experiences in their daily life. 
A doll made from all natural materials (cotton and wool) takes on the smell of the child and the home - which is so comforting for the young child. 

"A handcrafted doll is one of a kind, an individual which carries the spirit of the maker in its stitches and absorbs the spirit of the child who loves it."
unknown (if you know please let me know so I can give credit!)

If you haven't had a go at making one - give it a go. There is nothing more special than giving your child something you have made especially for them with love. 

If you are close to a steiner/ waldorf school, contact them for more details on people offering steiner/ waldorf doll making classes or google!

Great resource for waldorf dolls over at Crafty Sheep 

Today I am still fascinated by the works of Rudolf Steiner. 
A man with incredible insight and truth.
It's funny to think how much I have changed my (our) lives since that one waldorf doll.  

I hope to share more of what I have been learning from all my readings over the coming months. 

x

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to be introduced to Waldorf! It's amazing how quickly that introduction to Steiner changes your life and becomes a part of your family. I almost don't recognize our pre-Waldorf life from two years ago. The doll you made is lovely!

    My mom and I made a doll for my son together starting shortly after I discovered Waldorf. It is one of his favorite toys and goes with him for many adventures (most of which occur in our own kitchen). Yesterday they "went to ride a horse" in my rocking chair.

    Have you read Children at Play: Using Waldorf Principles to Foster Childhood Development? I love the chapter in that book about dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful doll, and it is amazing how Steiner has been in my life. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet doll and lovely post. I am not much of a sewer but I am inspired to give it a go on a doll for my wee one, thank you for the resources.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your handmade doll is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post! and lovely lovely doll!!! great work! amber

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...