Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Real Food Series: Apple, Oat & Maple Slice



Here is a yummy recipe I have now perfected....well at least I think. I started with a recipe given to me by Emma, my nutritionist - you can read about her here - and over the past few weeks I have made a few changes along the way and ended up with what you see above.

You will need to soak your oats the night before to reduce the phytic acid as this prevents nutrients from being absorbed. It also makes the slice lovely and moist. It may seem like a bit more work, but it really only takes a second to throw the oats, milk and lemon juice into a bowl and set aside on the bench.

From the pantry: 

2 1/2 cups oats soaked in 1 cup of whole unprocessed milk & a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice
110 grams (grass fed) butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons rapadura sugar
2 eggs from pastured chooks
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3 organic green apples - grate say 1.5 apples and cut the rest up in smallish pieces - about 1-2cm
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminium free - YES the stuff you buy in the supermarket has aluminium in it, nice huh)
a little grated lemon zest and a good squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice

Lets begin:

DAY 1:
Soak your oats over night in the milk and lemon juice

DAY 2:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
2. Melt the coconut oil and butter on a low heat on the stove - once melted, set aside
3. Add all other ingredients into a mixing bowl (I mix this up by hand, no need for fancy machines for this one)
4. Add in the coconut oil and butter to the mixture
5. Pour into a large glass or stone dish - I line with a natural baking paper so that I don't need to worry about it sticking.
5. Bake in a moderate oven (about 180 degrees C) for about 40 minutes or until cooked - i.e. nice golden top and when you touch in the centre it springs back a little.

Give it a go, it is so yummy with a hot cup of tea. Abbie had some while we sat and played in the sand pit this afternoon and declared "lovely mummy".....so it must be good. My lovely friend Lisa thinks its pretty good too....


Join me on facebook here, where I share snippets from our day.

Why not try making this - Cream and Honey Pannacotta, full of nutrient rich gelatin


9 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious. I'll let you know when I make this. Where do you get your grass-fed butter from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do. I would think most butter in Australia is grass fed, although I always buy either raw cultured butter (Gympie Farm) or Paris Farm Creek.

      Delete
  2. I made this today Nat, just delicious! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this on Friday and it was delicious! I realised at the last minute that I had run out of eggs, so I substituted 1/2 cup of pureed pear (1/4 cup for each egg) and a little more baking powder (although I wouldn't recommend the extra baking powder as I could taste it a little). Thank you for the lovely recipe, I will be making it again as Everly loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a delicious recipe. I will have to give this one a try, thank you for the recipe. :)
    www.atimetocreate.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Natural baking paper". For ease i do use baking paper but cringe when I do. There must be evil things used to make it that probably alter with heat. However I must admit I haven't done any research on it. Could you please share what you know and what the natural baking paper you use is? Cheery, :-) Esta

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! And perfect for lunches :) I'm going to make this asap
    Also, I just found your blog and I'm so thankful to find another aussie with a traditional, real food diet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been meaning to try this recipe for ages and finally got to it today.. Superb! I used pears instead of apples, didn't add sugar and chucked in what I had left of my homemade granola to bulk it up.. Such a good, flexible and easy recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natalie,

    Your bake looks delish! I was just wondering what Emma's opinion is about this dish and your blueberry muffins. I'm following a Peat/Emma-inspired way of eating which seems to eliminate grains (which seems to be digestively agreeing with me along with raw dairy, raw dairy kefir, raw cheese, stewed fruits, root veg, coc oil, salt and honey dominating my diet) but I'm desperate to do some wholefood baking!

    Looking forward to hearing back from you!

    (Have you seen Jude Blereau's new "Wholefood Baking" book? Divine!)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...