Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Real Food Series: Grain free Blueberry Cakes


My sister passed on the recipe for these little cakes, which I made up today, only tweaking it slightly! A great addition to a little lunchbox.....you can find my other lunch box suggestions here.

From the Pantry: 

3 pastured eggs
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons whole unprocessed milk
3 tablespoons of shredded coconut
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup coconut flour
half teaspoon baking powder
lemon zest to taste and a little squeeze of some juice
1/2 cup of organic blueberries (you could substitute with chopped green apple, raspberries, whatever you like)

some sweetness......optional. I actually forgot to add a little honey, and they tasted just fine, however a few tablespoons of honey would be lovely.

Let's Begin:

Melt the butter in a small pan over the stove and add to other ingredients. Mix it all together, adding berries at the end.

Bake at 200 degrees C for about 20/25 minutes....I turned the heat down to 180 degrees after 15 minutes.

Serve cut in half with lots of RAW butter....from a healthy pastured cow of course.

..........................................

I bake with IF YOU CARE unbleached totally chlorine free large baking cups.

10 comments:

  1. they look delicious. we have some blueberries in the fridge now so might have to whip up some tomorrow. i have to say i love all your recipes natalie and they have become regulars in our house, so thanks X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look lovely! I thinkg tomorrows baking session may very well be these little lovelies. Wishing you the loveliest of Fridays.
    Steph :) x
    thisbrownwren.blogspot.com (I moved from mon petit poppet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i made these on thursday morning with my four year old {he loves to cook} they are so quick, easy and tasted delicious ... thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your blog is full of joy! I love to follow it. Thank you for this idea for lunch box!
    Love Bella <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I LOVE your blog. I came across it through Emma's Nutrition Coach blog. Your girls are adorable too - can their cheeks get any rosier? :)

    I was just wondering what Emma's take on coconut flour is? I feel like I read in one of her blogs that the cellulose fibre in coconuts isn't so good for us?

    Where in Australia are you based?

    Kindest,

    Kate - BRISBANE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, they are rather sweet :)
      You would have to ask Emma her opinion- however the more I read, yes it contains quite a bit of fibre. Personally I have started to use it very sparingly.......we find it quite hard to digest.

      We are in Sydney :)
      thanks for visiting, Natalie

      Delete
  6. Hi Kate,
    yes it's the cellulose (insoluble fibre) that's indigestible in coconut 'flour' and mature coconut meat. We can't break it down so it goes on to feed bacteria (rather than feeding 'us'). This is mainly of concern to those with impaired digestion, bacterial overgrowth, inflammatory issues or poor liver function (from overload of endotoxin: the toxins we create on the inside from bacteria). However if you're asymptomatic then a little coconut flour used sparingly (as Natalie does) as an occasional fun food shouldn't be a problem.
    These details aside, don't underestimate the therapeutic benefits of baking and eating your own blueberry cakes ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emma. I was just wondering for those of us who DO have impaired digestion and all the above issues (fun!), how we can bake? I was thinking mashed potatoes could work as a replacement to the usual grain/nut-based flours?

      It sounds like an experiment is needed ... will report back :)

      Kate

      Delete
    2. Rather than replacing flour with other flours or flour-like substitutes, do the kind of baking that requires no flour to begin with ... bake custards, bake meringues, bake crustless cheesecake, bake Pavlovas, bake honeyed ricotta, bake creme caramel ... Of course you could still bake the occasional coconut muffin or oaty crumble, just mix it up a bit and see how it feels.

      Delete
  7. Hi Natalie, I made these the other day and my girls and I loved them :)...just wanted to let you know...I'm looking forward to getting my hands on your cookbook! It looks like it's coming along nicely. xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts. I love hearing from you and will respond to any questions in the comments sections. Natalie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...